Grab 'n' go, quickie stops, and drive-throughs are a given in our fast-paced society, but one auto insurance agency says slowing down can save you money. And they're not talking about lightening your lead foot. In response to a study released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Insurance.com prepared a list of the 10 most dangerous foods to eat while driving because they tend to distract drivers.
If you've ever been in an accident, then you're well aware of how much it can impact your insurance. Decrease the likelihood of an accident by enjoying these foods while you're not trying to steer a car.
- Coffee. "Even with a travel lid, hot coffee can find its way out of the opening when you hit a bump."
- Hot soup. "Many people drink it like coffee and run the same risks."
- Tacos. "Any food that can disassemble itself will leave your car looking like a salad bar."
- Chili dogs. "Huge potential for drips and slops down the front of clothing."
Learn what else to avoid when you
- Hamburgers. "From the grease to the toppings, it could end up on your hands and the steering wheel."
- Ribs and wings. "What's more distracting than licking your fingers?"
- Fried chicken. "More greasy hands. You've got to wipe them off while you're driving."
- Jelly donuts. "It's not possible to eat one without watching the center ooze out."
- Soda. "Carbonation. Fizz in the nose. Lids that leak. Disaster."
- Chocolate. "Try to clean melted chocolate off the steering wheel without swerving."
I never thought of soda as particularly dangerous, and am in disbelief that people really eat ribs and wings while driving! Do you have a habit of eating at the wheel?