A couple weeks ago, I taught a workshop on interviewing to 400 high-schoolers. In finding a way to keep the information short, sweet, and simple, I realized I was getting a pretty nice refresher myself.
I broke down the interview process into dos and don’ts for before, during, and after the interview. I've given you my basic tips for before an interview; to see my dos and don'ts for during your next interview, keep reading.
During the interview:
- Arrive on time
- Aim to impress everyone you meet (you never know who might be a decision-maker!)
- Watch your body language and avoid nervous habits
- Answer questions with specific examples
- Ask your interviewer insightful questions about the position
- Arrive way too early (10-15 minutes max)
- Use filler words (um, like, you know)
- Act overconfident or entitled
- Panic — no one interview is the end of the world
Stay tuned for some basic dos and don’ts to keep in mind for after your next interview!