Recently, I taught a workshop on interviewing to 400 high-schoolers. I had to find a way to keep the information short, sweet, and simple for the 17-and-under crowd, and in doing so, I realized I was getting a pretty nice interview refresher myself.
For the workshop, I broke down the interview process into dos and don’ts for before, during, and after the interview. I've already given you my basic tips for before and during an interview; to see my dos and don'ts for after your next interview, keep reading.
After the interview:
- Make sure you have the interviewer’s name and contact info
- Ask about next steps
- Follow up the next day with a thank-you note or email
- Assume you have the job ("So, when do I start?")
- Ask the interviewer an involved question on your way out
- Give the interviewer a deadline for getting back to you ("I'm applying elsewhere, so I'll need to know within a week.")