Sometimes cars carry a unique smell. A forgotten bit of food, an overturned latte, or sweaty gym clothes can cause your auto not to be the best-smelling spot for your morning commute. Make things better with a cute and wonderful-smelling DIY felt air freshener with the help of your favorite essential oil. You'll love how your car smells and how adorable the little flower looks hanging from your rearview mirror.
Read on for the directions.
What You'll Need:
- Round objects
- Parchment paper
- Sheet pan
- Essential oil
- Hot glue gun
- You can stick with one color of felt or a duo for creating the flower. Any scent of essential oil works, but going with something fresh like lavender, vetiver, or sandalwood gives your vehicle a lovely smell.
- Trace around a few circular objects, like a shot glass, to create around four to five rounds, each slightly smaller than the other. These fit together to create the cute flower air freshener. You can also cut into the circle to create slits for a fun look.
- Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper, and then create a single layer of the felt rounds. Now sprinkle each circle with a few drops of essential oil, and then place in a sunny spot for an hour so the felt soaks up all the lovely scent.
- Now layer together the rounds, and secure with an X through the center of the flower using a needle and thread.
- Finish things off by hot gluing a tied length of string to the back of the air freshener, and cover with a small felt round. Loop around your rearview window, and you've got a wonderfully smelling car in no time!
Don't place the air freshener on the leather or fabric of your vehicle as the essential oil may stain. And, once the scent starts waning, simply place the felt flower on a section of parchment paper, sprinkle with more essential oil, and the air freshener is refreshed.