Smart for your dorm room or for just stashing important items you don't want others riffling through, head to your local resale shop for a used book to upcycle into something so much more. This DIY takes a bit of patience, so make sure to set a couple of days aside for completing all the steps. But the finished product is so perfect stored on your bookshelf.
What You'll Need:
- Old book
- Plastic wrap
- Sheet tray
- Parchment paper
- X-acto knife
- Small sealable container
- White glue
- Paint brush
- Select a hard cover book that's at least three inches thick, so an old text book or novel you've already read works. Because you're basically hiding things in plain sight, you should go with a book that fits with your library — not something that would surprise or intrigue anyone to crack the spine. Wrap the cover like a present with plastic wrap, which protects it while you're working.
- Cover an old sheet tray with parchment paper, then mix together around one tablespoon of glue with the same amount of water in a small sealable container. Place the book on the sheet tray and coat the sides of the book, working slowly so the water and glue mixture can really seep into the paper. Clean up any drips, then place a few heavy books, or big cans of soup, on the top of the book to press the pages together. Let dry overnight.
- Now open the book and measure one inch from each side of the glued edges of the book and the center spine, creating a rectangle guide to work with for cutting out the secret stash spot. Working slowly and carefully, cut along the line, using the ruler as a guide. Always remember to pull the blade away from you to avoid any cuts.
- Continue cutting until there is around one inch left at the base of the book. You can go deeper, but by this point, you're probably ready to stop. Clean up any stray papers around the sides, corners, and edges as needed. Coat the top, sides, and base of the cutout rectangle. You can even go over the sides of the book again too. Close the cover and weigh down with big books or cans overnight.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the cover, touch up any spots that need a bit more glue, and your stash book is ready to use! Fill with your emergency credit card, secret journal, or jewelry you don't want your roommate wearing. So sneaky!