Instead of giving your favorite guy a boring tie as a gift, use one to make a soft and cozy phone case. This DIY is easy to make and gives new life to a tie tucked in the back of his closet. And you can even pull off this project without a sewing machine. While you're at it, you can make one for yourself, too.
Read on for the DIY.
What You'll Need:
- One tie
- Stick pins
- Hot glue gun
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
- Self-adhering velcro
- This is a great project for giving new life to old ties, or you can always pick one up at your local resale shop. Place the tie on your work surface, and start carefully removing the center seam from the back with sharp scissors.
- Now gently slide your phone into the open end, and use a few stick pins to mark where the base of the phone case should be. Add at least half an inch for creating a hem. You can also use a pin to hold the center together while you're working.
- Cut away the end of the tie, and remove the stick pin. Now flip the tie inside out, and hold together at the base with a few pins. Give it a quick seam with the help of a sewing machine or hand stitch together with a needle and thread.
- Flip the tie back around, and then secure the front flap with a line of hot glue. It's an easy way to keep things in place without doing any serious sewing.
- Finish things off with a squares of self-adhesive velcro, and your phone case is finished! Really, it's that easy! Make one for your boyfriend, dad, or office mate for a memorable holiday gift.