- Get a gratitude journal. Writing down a list of things that you are grateful for can renew your appreciation for the things that you've been taking for granted. The gratitude list will cause you to focus on the positive and not the negative. Doing this daily can ingrain this type of positive thinking in your mind.There are plenty of really cool gratitude journals available on Amazon, like this 2012 Gratitude Journal ($8).
- Surround yourself with friends. Friends make a person happier and can distract you from the negative in your life. They also provide a form of emotional support and can be there for you when the going gets tough. Feeling isolated will make you feel more negative because you'll start having these unrealistic negative thoughts about yourself that your friends can't counter. Friends will help ground you and give you a good dose of reality.
- Defeat your thoughts on paper. If you keep ruminating on something gloomy, write it down on a sheet of paper. Then play devil's advocate and write down several arguments to counter it. Keep on doing this, and you'll feel much better. Sometimes you get so focused on yourself and your misery that it's hard for you to find solutions or a positive perspective.
- Offer to pet-sit. Having animals around you makes you happier, so offer to pet-sit for your friends when they take trips. If you can put in the money, time, and energy, you should really consider adopting a pet. Seeing how animals take such joy in simple things will snap you out of your doom and gloom mind-set.
- Lose yourself in an activity. If you're obsessing about something, you need to break that seemingly never-ending loop of bad thoughts. Pick an activity that you know you can really lose yourself in, such as playing a sport, meditating, or even reading. Anything that will take your mind off of whatever is bothering you.
- Take in the outdoors. Scientists say that taking in nature can really calm a person's mind. Make it a point to go to a place with greenery, be it a nearby park or garden. Take a deep breath and inhale the smells and absorb sights of nature. You'll find negativity fading away.
Love being happy? Here are more ways to increase your happiness.
Image Source: Thinkstock