It's nice to stick to traditions for your big day; after all, that's what a wedding is all about, right? However, you can use some creativity to jazz it up a little. Here are some expert tips from Dana LaRue of The Broke-Ass Bride blog to add some spice to your nuptials.
- Predrinks: Don't let your guests wilt in the heat, or during the wait, for your ceremony. Serve up a preceremony cocktail to get the party mood rolling and give your loved ones something to wet their whistles while you say your vows.
- Toss Out the Rice: Throwing rice is for the birds, but there's lots of great alternative toss ideas! Colorful fabric poms, bubbles, sparklers, flower petals, and birdseed all send off the happy couple with pizzazz, and create great pictures!
- Family-Style Dinners: For a less stuffy sit-down dinner option, serve up your meals family-style. It cuts back on waitstaff needs, lets people choose and control their portion sizes, encourages mingling and discussion among the diners, and reminds your guests that today, everyone is family!
- Bust Out the Karaoke Machine: Looking for a memorable alternative to expensive DJs and bands, but want something more exciting than an iPod? Why not get your guests involved and rent a karaoke machine? It's a fun and unexpected way to keep the party going all night long, and your guests will be talking about it for years to come!
- Bond With Your Guests: Involve your guests in the ceremony as much as possible. Write in a group vow, asking them if, by witnessing your union, they will pledge to support your marriage over the years. Encourage the guests to share in the end of the ceremony, by asking them to chime in on the pronouncement of your marriage at the end. Keeping them involved is key to keeping them engaged, and it will build a sense of community and warmth that will carry through till the wee hours of your reception.