Three Ms come to mind when I hear the name Bill Gates: Microsoft, money, and Melinda.
The first made him wealthy, the second keeps him in the news, and the third recently opened up to Fortune for her first-ever profile! Besides talking to Fortune, Melinda has been dedicating 30 hours a week to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. She explained her time commitment when she said, “As I thought about strong women of history, I realized that they stepped out in some way.”
Here are some interesting facts about the Gates:
- Melinda has a BA and a MBA from Duke University, while Bill was a Harvard dropout.
- She started working for Microsoft in Seattle when she was 22 years old, and four months into the job she was seated next to Bill at a dinner. She was attracted to his humor — what girl doesn't love a guy that makes her laugh — and he thought she was a looker.
- Melinda kept office life professional and was promoted several times at Microsoft, refusing to accompany Bill to any work-related events.
- She's a very compassionate woman and really got the ball rolling with their foundation work. The foundation has already given away $14.4 billion.
- Melinda says she and Bill will follow Warren Buffett's philosophy in considering the distribution of their weatlh: "A very rich person should leave his kids enough to do anything, but not enough to do nothing."
Three more so, read more