After you and your fiancé have figured out what you can afford to pay for your honeymoon, the next step is to choose the ideal location to celebrate your new marriage. Costs can vary greatly depending on destination so it's best to come up with a short list of places that you'd love to visit. A list of three to five locations means that while your budget is fixed, you are flexible and will be able to find an affordable vacation in one of your options.
Wedding planning can seem like a second job in itself and leaves little time for focusing on your honeymoon. Whether or not a travel agent makes sense for your honeymoon mainly depends on what type of trip you want and where you're headed. For example, venturing on an African safari is almost impossible to plan on your own, while booking an all-inclusive resort in the Virgin Islands is something you can do simply with the assistance of resort staff. Find out the pros and cons of using a travel agent when you
- Travel agents greatly simplify the planning process. They can be involved in different capacities depending on your needs but are capable of coordinating all of your travel, accommodations, and excursion plans.
- As travel specialists they are aware of the quality of various accommodations and their recommendations may be based on their own experiences. The expectations they set are realistic and you may not get the same well-researched opinions when you do-it-yourself online.
- Agents make sure you're set to get from here to there and everywhere in between, and they also know exactly which documents you'll need for smooth travel.
- You're paying for a service. Agents receive commissions from all travel providers except airlines and some will charge a booking fee for your flights. Many agents will charge a planning fee when you solicit their services which can later be applied toward your trip once it's booked. Think of this as a security deposit: They don't want to have wasted their time planning a trip if you're not serious about following through.
- You're putting a lot of trust in someone else. While you dictate the kind of trip that you're looking for and of course are invited to give input along the way, you're trusting that the agent is presenting you with the best deals and options available.
If you do choose to plan your honeymoon through a travel agency, ask family and friends for their agency recommendations.
Check out all of our wedding season coverage at IDoSugar.