Skip Nav
Oscars
A Breakdown of the Oscars Gift Bag Worth Over $200,000 — You Won't Believe What's Inside
Budget Tips
31 Ways Real People Make Extra Income
Valentine's Day
50+ Free Valentine's Printable Cards That Aren't Corny

Study Finds People Are More Depressed on the Weekend

TGIF . . . or Maybe Not

After working hard and being productive all week, there’s nothing like two days of freedom stretching out ahead of you to give your mood a lift. Or is there?

A recent German study has found that people tend to be most bummed out about life in general on Sundays, with Saturdays and Fridays following closely behind. And (much less official) research by Zubin Jelveh of The New Republic finds that Americans experience the weekend blahs, too — 90 percent of Americans think life is good on Wednesdays, compared with only 79 percent on Sundays.

So what gives? Anticipation of a new workweek beginning, maybe? Or is work such a big part of our lives that we feel adrift and slightly depressed when we’re not actually working?

Source: Flickr User strochka

Around The Web

POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.

Join The Conversation
Frenched Frenched 5 years
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets really bummed out on Sundays. And yes, sometimes even Saturday evenings can majorly suck because you know that Sunday is the day before Monday. It does suck having to stress out about "making the most" out of the measly two days you get. For me, 70% of my weekend is spent running errands and doing chores...the other 30% is trying to fit in some fun, but it's stressful.
kittieflyn kittieflyn 5 years
My job requires me to work 7 days a week...I spend my weekends cramming in errands that I can't get to during the week, sleep and work. I have zilch time for anything but work. Sundays have always bummed me out too and it probably goes back to my school days. I keep telling myself I'm thankful to have a job in this economy but at what cost?
MandeeLei MandeeLei 6 years
My last job I always worked on Saturdays so I only had Sunday as my real weekend day and it was spent anticipating Monday. My husband and many of our friends got to enjoy the full weekend that including going out on Friday night and relaxing on Saturday or doing something fun during the day. It made me really envious to see and hear people say "Have a great weekend!" "TGIF!" because to me it literally meant nothing.
luna08 luna08 6 years
"Sunday is the day before the day I work, so it gets poisoned." ~ Kate & Leopold
crystalm07 crystalm07 6 years
I have always hated Sundays for some reason so I can see this. I think having to plan everything fun in your life around a strict work schedule sucks and leaves no room for spontaneity.
insanitypepper insanitypepper 6 years
When I had a job I hated, I would get so bummed out on Sunday evenings. It was like there wasn't even a point to trying to enjoy the last few hours of the weekend with Monday morning and my nano-managing supervisor looming over me.
Spectra Spectra 6 years
I always find that after a couple of days off, I really get used to the relaxing feel of things and I don't want to go back to work. But once the work week's in progress, I get into everything going on at work and don't mind that I'm actually there.
CoralAmber CoralAmber 6 years
I find I'm too tired on the weekend to do anything but the essential, like running errands. I have ideas about doing something fun, but by the time I get done the things that need to be done there isn't time. It's really disheartening, thinking about this second fun life I could lead if I only had the energy/time.
Latest Career & Money
X