From tips to saving in your local Starbucks to different ways of dressing up their instant coffee, we've definitely wrote our share of Starbucks stories. I was reading a list of little known facts about our favorite coffee chain from Business Insider, and I must admit that I was surprised by some of the things listed on there. Here are the top five most surprising facts:
- "At $300 million Starbucks spends more on healthcare insurance for its employees than on coffee beans."
- "The owners almost went with the name Pequod, the name of the boat in Moby Dick, instead of the character Starbucks' name." I'm so glad they decided to go with Starbucks. Pequod does not roll off the tongue as easily as the name Starbucks.
- "A Starbucks grande coffee has 320 milligrams of caffeine, over four times the amount of caffeine in a Red Bull."
- "There are over 87,000 possible drink combinations at Starbucks."
- "The Trenta is slightly bigger than your stomach with the capacity to hold 916 milliliters. The stomach on average has a capacity of 900 ml."
I was pleasantly surprised to see the health insurance fact, although the actual figure is $250 million. It's nice to see a company treat their workers well, and to give them good coverage — it provides health insurance for employees who work at least 20 hours a week, which was previously unheard of.
This act definitely shows the public that Starbucks is a company that cares . . . yet another reason to love it!