Skip Nav

Tax Returns are Due Today

In Case You Hadn't Noticed, It's April 15th

There's a line out the door across the street from Sugar HQ — no, it's not a pack of people waiting to see the Sugar girls, it's procrastinators at the post office who are waiting to send their tax returns by certified mail! Are you one of those people? Don't freak out, but do make sure your return is postmarked with today's date. And if there's no-way no-how that you'll be able to get your taxes in today's mail, filing for an extension will give you an extra six months to pay the IRS.

You can get a new October 15 deadline by completing a very brief form called Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File. While you have more time to fret about filing your return, an extension won't give you an extension on paying the IRS if you owe taxes. You'll need to pay a close and reasonable estimate of your tax bill by today, along with your extension application.


Latest Career & Money
Looking for the perfect gift this holiday season? Order our POPSUGAR Must Have box now >>