At the beginning of the week I told you about Careerbuilder's recent survey that asked bosses for the most ridiculous excuses they've heard from employees calling to say they'd be missing work. You all responded with stories of unbelievable excuses you've heard or used, and below are some that made my eyes pop! Some are true and some are not — which do you think is most outrageous?
- "I got apricot scrub in my eye when I was washing my face. I cut my eye so I can't come in."
- A girl called in one day because she forgot to put her clothes in the dryer, and her dryer was old, so it would take several hours for her clothes to dry. By then it was not worth coming in to work that day.
- Someone called in sick by saying a wasp was in the closet holding all the work clothes, and the next day the worker called in say with a reaction to a wasp sting.
- "You know how when you are drifting off to sleep and you jerk awake? One woman claims she got whiplash that way!"
See four more excuses when you
- One boss reported that a worker called in saying his neighbor had just struck a deer with her car, and he needed to wait for the gaming commission to come tag it and then he needed to process the meat right away before it went bad. "In other words, he took a no-pay day for road kill."
- One manager reports that a worker called in saying, "My son was biting his toenails yesterday and they became infected overnight and I can't make it to work today." Ew!
- An employee said her ex chained a pit bull to the front porch and she couldn't get outside the front door.
- A co-worker called in saying "she fell asleep in the bathtub last night and her tailbone is bruised so she can't sit at her desk."