Epsom salt is a naturally occurring mineral that's definitely not boring. Magnesium sulfate is an inorganic salt that contains magnesium, sulfur, and oxygen and has many cool uses around the house. And you can pick up a carton at your local dollar store, making having some on hand an awesome idea. You'll be amazed at all the things you can use it for!
- Ease sore muscles: Had a tough day? Add one cup Epsom salts to your bath and all your worries will melt away. While relaxing, the Epsom salts restore the magnesium and sulfate in your system, which helps soothe sore muscles, soften skin, and calm the body.
- Veggie boost: Water your plants with a mixture of one tablespoon Epsom salts and one gallon water, which gives them a magnesium boost, helping to produce happy fruits and vegetables.
- Exfoliate: Add a sprinkling of Epsom salts to your favorite face cleanser for extra exfoliation while adding magnesium and sulfate to your face. The Epsom salts help smooth the skin and fight the formation of fine lines.
- Bust hard-water stains: If you've got tough hard-water stains in your bathroom, take care of them with this Epsom salts scrub.
- Pretty jars: Create these really pretty sparkling jars with the help of Epsom salt!
Photo: Sarah Lipoff
- Remove splinters: Got a splinter? Ouch! Fix things fast by soaking the splinter in one-half cup warm water with one teaspoon Epsom salts for 20 minutes. The mixture softens the skin and makes pulling out the splinter so much easier.
- Healthy hair: Mix equal parts Epsom salts and your favorite conditioner for a hair treatment. Massage into hair and scalp and let sit for 10 minutes. Rinse and enjoy your healthy hair!
- Slug off: For gardeners tired of dealing with slugs, simply sprinkle Espom salts over areas where they like to hang out to deter invasions.
- So soft!: Naturally soften laundry by adding Epsom salts to your next load of wash.
Photo: Sarah Lipoff
- Laxative: Not feeling regular? One teaspoon Epsom salts dissolved in a glass of water should get things moving.
- Detox: Remove toxins by adding two cups Epsom salts to a hot bath and soak for 10 minutes. The sulfates in Epsom salts help flush toxins and heavy metals from your body through reverse osmosis, which pulls the salt out of your body, along with all those nasty toxins.
- Athlete's foot soother: Athlete's foot is no fun, and soaking those itchy tootsies in an Epsom salts bath helps relieve symptoms.
- Big smile: Brushing with Epsom salts naturally whitens teeth and promotes a happy mouth. Just have some mouthwash handy to help with the aftertaste.
- Soften skin: For dry skin, mix together equal parts Epsom salts and olive oil for a nurturing scrub that leaves skin soft and soothed.
- Raccoon away: If you've got critters that love digging in your garbage, keep them away with a sprinkling of Epsom salts around your garbage can and on its lid. The smell and taste will keep them from feasting.
- Fade bruises: Soak a washcloth in one cup cool water with two tablespoons Epsom salts and then apply to bruises to help ease pain and quickly fade those dark spots.