- How to create a budget: Follow tips to live frugally.
- How much to tip: The average tipper gives 17 to 20 percent gratuity — but it depends on who you're tipping.
- Pay off debt: The first step is to stop acquiring new debt.
- Raise credit score: Check your credit report for mistakes.
- Protect identity: Leave your social security card at home.
- Invest your money: Make sure you have the basics covered like saving for retirement and paying off debt before you explore other investing options.
- File taxes: Figure out if you even need to file taxes to begin with.