It's no secret that the economy isn't as strong as it once was, and important cancer research, investment in education, contributions to the arts, and even aid to countries worldwide have been stalled as a result. Luckily, these days, do-gooders looking to donate can endow their dollars with the tap of a button. Apps make it easy for mobile users to contribute to organizations and spread the spirit of generosity over social media, so we've rounded up five of the best iPhone apps for tech-savvy Samaritans.
- Instead (free) — Instead of going out to eat or splurging on that latte today, how about a donation to the charity of your choice? This micro-donation app encourages people to live more within their means and give the excess cash to nonprofits in need.
Keep reading for mobile apps that contribute to the greater good.
- Charity Miles (free) — Stay fit, earn money, and raise awareness all at once? Yes, please! Choose a charity, then earn it 10 cents per mile for biking or 25 cents per mile for running. Share your achievement with friends and encourage them to join in on the challenge.
- Catalista (free) — This app connects volunteers to local nonprofits in their community. Use the service to track volunteer hours and invite Facebook friends to charity events.
- Donation Connect (free) — Empower yourself to donate at the tap of a button with this app. Scroll through the list of participating charities, select the nonprofit you prefer, and a dollar amount you specify is charged directly to your wireless bill or deducted from a prepaid balance.
- mGive (free) — This social empowerment tool aggregates news, local information, events, one-click donation, and volunteer opportunities in your local community all in one place. Find out what's happening in your area and which causes need the most help. Donate to those organizations, and the amounts are charged to your mobile bill.