Sixty minutes every Sunday is not nearly enough to quench our thirst for the glory, gore, and dragons of HBO's Game of Thrones. For fans of the show, based on George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, there's more House Lannister, Stark, Targaryen, Tyrell, Greyjoy, and Baratheon to be had online, where GoT enthusiasts can tune into podcasts discussing all goings-on in the worlds of Westeros and Essos.
These podcasts are a great way to get your head around all of the complicated plotting, scheming, and Iron Throne-lusting story lines both within and beyond the wall each week. From in-depth analysis of episode plotlines for book readers already familiar with the story to thorough recaps on each of the many characters for newbies, complement your weekly dose of Game of Thrones with these podcasts for every kind of Winterfella and Queen Regent.
Be warned, the following podcasts are explicit, so maybe turn the volume down when listening at work.
- A Cast of Kings — Hosts David Chen of /Film, who has never read Martin's books, and Joanna Robinson of Pajiba, who's read the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series, dive deep into each episode, with little audio nuggets of their favorite moments, new locations in the credit sequences, and each week's best and worst bits.
- Game of Owns — One of the largest GoT fan sites on the Interwebz, WinterIsComing.net, hosts a thrice weekly audio series featuring a group of hosts joined occasionally by special guests from the world of Game of Thrones. The group discusses a healthy amount of comparisons to GRRM's series, so we'd say this podcast is more suited for book readers.
- The Night's Watch — If anything, listen to this podcast for its intro music, a dubstep remix of Game of Thrones's theme song. Hosts A. Rod (A Song of Ice and Fire reader) and Mad Brew (nonreader) rate episodes on a scale of one to 10, offer their insightful recaps, and indulge in spoilers at the end of the podcast.
- Cast of Thrones — Nick Bristow, Jennifer Cheek, Michael DiMauro, and Tim Lanning offer their spirited thoughts on the show, humorously recapping where each character is, giving episode highlights, and mapping out the episode's locations. Expect funny, off-topic tangents throughout.
- Boars, Gore, and Swords — Comedians Ivan Hernandez and Red Scott host a funny podcast about a very serious show. Commenters have criticized the podcast for occasional mistakes, but we'd say the jokes make up for it.
- A Podcast of Ice and Fire — This weekly show is by far the most spoiler-ridden but also the most satisfying for readers of A Song of Ice and Fire. In addition to recaps, the hosts also cover series news and theories.
- A Game of Thrones — The official HBO video podcast features the show's creators discussing the character developments of each episode and recaps, plus offers exclusive featurettes.