Have you ever found yourself shopping on a British website and realized you have no idea how much $10,000 euros is in American dollars, or if staying in a Japanese hotel for 800 yen a night is a great deal or savings wrecker?
If you ever find yourself in a currency converting pinch and you don't have a special widget, heed this advice: Open up Google, type in the word "convert" followed by whatever confusing currency amount you need translated and the type of currency you would like it converted into. For example, my search "convert ¥99,750 to US dollars" brought back the result ¥ 99750 = 819.84525 U.S. dollars. I know now that the idea of buying a Titanium iPod Nano Case is out of my price range and preposterous.
If you are away from your computer, you may be able to text message Google for quick info. You should be able to send a text message to 466453 (which spells out 'GOOGLE' on most devices) and they'll text message you back with the results. Unfortunately, Google Mobile SMS is only supported with certain carriers in different countries. Check to see if your carrier supports Google Mobile SMS.
Do you know a great shortcut or tip you think geeksugar readers should know? Share it in our 'How To' Help - Guide To All Things Geeky group, read more
I know that this long list looks scary, but trust me, once you get the hang of it, it'll be a snap the second time around.
- First of all, join the 'How To' Help - Guide To All Things Geeky
- Click "Create and Share!" on the left hand side
- Choose "Blog"
- Give your photo a Title
- Leave the category as "general"
- Change the channel to "technology and gadgets"
- Add keyword(s) (for example mine for this photo was "Geek tip")
- Click on the "Add Image" link below the "body" box
- A popup window will happen - click on "Browse" to find your image on your computer
- Once you have the image chosen, click "Submit"
- The popup will show you your image, choose size: "normal" - if you want, you can give it a title (which will show up as a caption)
- Click "Insert" and the popup will go away
- Your "body" box will now have some text in it. Leave it as is. If you want to add some text before the picture telling me why you think this person is geeky, do it before the code that has appeared.
- Click Submit
So join the 'How To' Help - Guide To All Things Geeky and start sharing your favorite tips! Your tricks just might end up on the Geeksugar homepage!