Google is, slowly but surely, building up its Google Plus social network, having just introduced larger cover images on profiles, built-in photo editing tools for mobile, and (our personal fave) Harry Potter-style animated GIFs as avatars this year. Last December, the search giant unveiled Communities, a forum-like feature where Google Plus users can join groups based on their hobbies and interests.
Communities act as a home base for people who find common ground on, for example, an obsession with Doctor Who. Group members can video chat face-to-face in Hangouts, plan events, share interesting links, or participate in discussions. There's no shortage of geeky communities on Google Plus (including our own page) — join fellow meme-obsessed, space-enthusiast, cat-loving, photography fanatics after the break.
- Cats of Google+ — Crazy about cats? Of course you are. This community of feline-adoring friends is the "purrfect" place to find cat-related lolz, GIFs, videos, apps, adoption notices, cat furniture, and more.
- Doctor Who — Whovians! Stay up to date with the Doctor in the largest Doctor Who fan page on Google Plus. There are special discussions for both classic and new Who, anniversary news, and spoiler-laden episode talk.
- Space — Exploration of the final frontier finds its home within the Google+ Space community. Beautiful space photos, amateur astrophotography, and NASA news shine in this feed.
- STEM on Google+ — The ultimate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics community on Google Plus has great side discussions on art in STEM and education. There's also a dedicated forum for each field of science.
- Geeks+ — Whether it's computing, gear and gadgets, photography, tech help, robots, or gaming that suits your fancy, this geek community has a place for you.
- Night Photography — You'll find amazing imagery of meteors, comets, the Milky Way, and star trails here. The discussions are full of tips for beginners, and equipment/software recommendations from pros.