Here, 10 facts you may not have known about the father of one of the biggest geek movie franchises of all time!
- He was rejected from joining the US Air Force because he had too many speeding tickets.
- He was a camera operator in the Rolling Stones 1967 concert film Gimme Shelter.
- Owes a large part of his wealth to the licensing deals he made before the first Star Wars film was released — he waived his up-front director's fee in exchange for full licensing rights to tee shirts, toys, and other Star Wars branded items.
To see the rest, just read more.
- He has three adopted children.
- Met Steven Spielberg when he was studying film at USC.
- Was born in the small central valley town of Modesto, CA.
- His Skywalker Ranch facility in Marin County is located off of Lucas Valley Road, a fact that is purely coincidental.
- Came up with the story idea behind Indiana Jones while on vacation in Hawaii with Steven Spielberg.
- Originally wanted to be a race car driver, but an accident just before his high school graduation changed his mind.
- Modeled the character of Chewbacca after his own dog, an Alaskan Malamute. The same dog, named Indiana, was also the namesake for the Indiana Jones series.
Image Source: Getty