Remember in Sex and the City when Carrie's laptop crashes and everyone keeps asking her - did you backup? Anyone who has a computer and anything important on her hard drive should always do regular backups and many of you have sent me e-mails asking how to do this so I thought I would give you a step-by-step guide. While it may seem easy as pie to some, there are plenty of people out there that still avoid saving - just ask Carrie Bradshaw. There are many ways to do a backup, including using a CD, zip drive, external hard drive and the web. Here are step by step instructions to help you do a back up on a CD.
For steps, read more
- Check your computer configuration and decide what you need to back up (whether that be word documents, contacts, or images).
- Determine the amount of CDs you will require for all the data you want to store. A CD can normally store 650 MB of data.
- Sort the data and insert the blank CD in the drive. Write the data that you want for the backup in the CD by copying it.
- Use the CD writing wizard or CD writing software.
- Write the title on the CD so that you know what is stored on it.
Be sure to do a backup regularly so that you don't risk losing data.
Try another backup option like an external hard drive if the amount of data is too large. For example, if you want to backup videos or music.