We all know things at our desks can get pretty messy, but if you have as many pictures, documents and music files on your computer as I do, you've probably noticed things on your hard drive getting pretty messy too.
For my guide to creating a well-organized computer, just
- Open the most unorganized folders and begin to choose the ones that you do not need anymore.
- Select and delete the files you do not need by dragging them to the trash or clicking on them and clicking delete.
- Create at least three new categories and then create folders to go along with them. If you have many sub-categories, you can create folders inside the folders you just created, but be careful not to create so many folders that you can’t remember where you’ve saved your items.
- Move all your categories into your documents. This is usually named 'My Documents.'
- Empty your recycle bin. All the files you have just deleted go to a folder called the recycle bin. The recycle bin is located on the desktop. Confirm all the deleted files. Then right click the recycle bin and select empty.
- Run the desktop clean up wizard. This wizard will clean up any shortcuts you have never used before, or haven't used in a long time. To get onto this wizard you must right click on the desktop and put your mouse over 'arrange icons by', then click 'run desktop clean up wizard'.
- Restart your computer. After your computer has done all the hard work, moving files on your hard drive, it needs a mini break.