Last week, I helped you pick out a new digital camera, and showed you how to download your photos to your computer, but which program should you use to manage and share them online? Flickr is still my go-to site for archiving pictures because it allows you to put your pictures on the web and view your friends' archives. Because of the site's added tagging feature, it's easy to categorize your photos and explore photos by photographer, tag, time, text and place.
If you have a lot of photos and exceed the Flickr free account 10MB monthly size cap, using Flickr's web based image upload tool or their Windows application to upload your images can become very tedious. For example, I have a really great camera which takes gorgeous, high quality images around 2MB in size. This means I would only be able to upload 5 high quality images per month. Since I like to get my pictures on the net for my friends and family to view, I resize and save them with Photoshop before uploading.
For step by step instructions on how to upload pics to Flickr, read more
Another way to get pics to your Flickr account is by using email. Enter Picasa and Gmail. Picasa is a great free photo management tool that lets you organize and perform simple edits and manipulations to your photos. I love Picasa because it lets you email directly from its software and you can tell the application to automatically resize your photos before sending them.
Check out the Picasa website for more info and to download.
Uploading Pics To Flickr
- Login to your Flickr account. Near the bottom of the page click on the link that says Upload by Email.
- Copy the email address that is presented to you. This is a personalized email address that you can use to send photos to your Flickr account.
- Now, open Picasa and click on the Tools>Options>menu.
- On the Email tab, choose Use my Gmail Account then set the picture size (using the slider) to whatever size you want. This is the size that Picasa will scale your image to before sending it.
- Click the OK button and you’re ready to start sending images to Flickr.
- Click on the image that you want to upload then click on the Email button near the bottom of the Picasa application window. Picasa will ask you to enter your Gmail login details.
- In the To field, enter the email address that Flickr gave you.
- Enter the title of the picture in the subject line. This is the title that Picasa will use when it displays your picture.
- Enter the description of the photo in the message area. This is the description that Picasa will use when it displays your picture.
- Finally, click the Send button and the photo is uploaded to Flickr.
- The only limitation with this method is that you cannot tag the image. You will need to login to Flickr to do that.
If you need more help, check out Uploading Flickr Photos from the Flickr website.