Android 4.0, codename Ice Cream Sandwich, is set to be rolled out to Android lovers everywhere this November with the launch of the Galaxy Nexus phone, and all signs indicate that this is the best OS yet. The entire system has been revamped and refined, bringing some powerful apps, features, and functionality to the mix. Though there are plenty of new tidbits to learn about inside Android 4.0 (which we'll be uncovering over the next few weeks prior to its release), here are six cool features we can't wait to try out.
- Face Unlock — Say buh-bye to passcodes! Thanks to some upgraded face detection software, Ice Cream Sandwich can take a quick scan of your face to unlock your device. The only downside might be low-light situations, but hopefully there's a way to bypass face detection for a code in those instances.
- Android Beam — NFC technology takes another turn with Android Beam, which will allow you to share information and content — like contacts, websites, apps, maps, and more — with other Android users within close proximity.
- Flexible widgets — Organize your homescreen the way you want it with flexible widgets. You can scale Android's stock widgets up or down in size and store them in a separate space of their own in the app drawer.
- Voice typing — This feature allows you to speak your emails, texts, messages, and search queries (or anywhere you want to enter text) just by tapping on the microphone icon on your keyboard.
- Panoramic camera modes — Your on-board camera can take full panoramic pics with Ice Cream Sandwich and full panorama mode. Partner this with the new zero-lag shutter on the Galaxy Nexus and you have a sweet way to document landscapes.
- New typeface — Hey, lookie here: Android has a new typeface! Gone are the days of Droid Sans — Roboto is on the scene now.
Want to see more? Check out the Ice Cream Sandwich and Galaxy Nexus demo video after the break.