Last week I had one of those freak out moments when my laptop started acting like it had been possessed, as I had zero control over it. When it booted in safe mode, I knew it was time to get some backup assistance, and let's be honest, an involuntary safe boot on a Mac is almost like the blue screen of death on a PC.
Thankfully another resident geek guru came to my rescue and we both agreed that the 100-degree weather could be impairing my MacBook. And without further ado, he quickly installed one of his "fan favorites" (hee hee), smcFanControl. This free download allows you to control the built-in fan on every Intel Mac to make it run cooler. Macs are already insanely hot, so being able to rev up your fan from the default setting in hot weather definitely helps your Mac cool down. I've had it on full for the past week and it seems to be helping. Oh, and it also indicates the temperature of your laptop, so you can monitor whether you need the fan turned up.
Do you have a cool download like this one to share with geeksugar readers? To learn how to post your favorite sites to the Download of the Day group,
I know that this long list looks scary, but trust me, once you get the hang of it, it'll be a snap the second time around.
- First of all, join the Download of the Day group
- Click "Create and Share!" on the left hand side
- Choose "Blog"
- Give your photo a Title
- Leave the category as "general"
- Change the channel to "technology and gadgets"
- Add keyword(s) (for example mine for this photo was "Download of the Day")
- Click on the "Add Image" link below the "body" box
- A popup window will happen - click on "Browse" to find your image on your computer
- Once you have the image chosen, click "Submit"
- The popup will show you your image, choose size: "normal" - if you want, you can give it a title (which will show up as a caption)
- Click "Insert" and the popup will go away
- Your "body" box will now have some text in it. Leave it as is. If you want to add some text before the picture telling me why you love the download, do it before the code that has appeared.
- Click Submit
So join the Download of the Day group and share information about all your favorite downloads! Yours just might end up on the geeksugar homepage!