With the holidays right around the corner, many of us will be packing our bags and bon voyaging to visit friends and family. If you are planning on packing your laptop, there are some precautions you should take to make sure your laptop is in tip top shape when it arrives at your destination.
- Be sure to carry your laptop in a bag designed for laptop computers. If you accidentally drop your laptop while it is in a good carrying case, you have a good chance that it will not be damaged. Most laptop bags have extra padding for added protection.
- Sometimes hotel rooms have devices like alarm clocks, hair driers and televisions containing magnets that can damage your data. Do not store memory sticks or zip disks near these devices for extended periods.
- Keep those holiday cocktails away from your laptop and try to avoid using small base glasses as they can easily tip over. Spilling liquid into a laptop can ruin it.
- Avoid checking your laptop as luggage on an airline, bus, etc. Always carry-on your laptop to avoid damage and theft. Keep your laptop in hand at all times when in public areas. Be extra careful in busy locations like airports, where many laptop computers are stolen.
- X-ray machines at the airports will not damage your computer or your media and files. However, many people have had their computers stolen as it comes out of the conveyer belt. Be sure not to leave your computer unattended.
- Make sure you know the power type and the plug type requirements for the country you are traveling to. You will need to get the necessary adapters if you are going to be using your computer while plugged into a power source (other than battery power).
For more tips, just