Skip Nav
Facebook
How to Create Your Own Friends Day Video on Facebook
Tech News
This Day-Care Worker Was Fired After Posting a Superinappropriate Snapchat
CES
5 of the Best New Beauty Gadgets to Step Your Game Up

The Most Shocking Tech News Story of 2007 Was. . .

I think we were all shocked beyond disbelief when earlier this year a 28-year old woman died of water intoxication after entering a radio station's Hold Your Wee for a Wii contest. Jennifer Strange was one of eighteen participants who tried to win a Wii by drinking more than two liters of water without going to the bathroom. It's no surprise that this story was voted as the most shocking tech news story of 2007. I've heard many stories about people going to great lengths to get a Wii, but I'd have to say this one was far too extreme and dangerous for my liking.

Around The Web

POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.

Join The Conversation
ilanac13 ilanac13 8 years
when i first heard about that story - i was in total and complete shock and it still bugs me to this day.
NurseDeAnna NurseDeAnna 8 years
This is especially sad for the Sacramento area. You would think after a Chico student died of water intoxication, that this station (which I love and have won many concert tickets through) would pull something like this. I wish they had the sense to stay away from that.
KristinDaBomb KristinDaBomb 8 years
Wow I never even heard of this story. That is crazy. I can't believe it, all for a Wii.
sarcastabtch sarcastabtch 8 years
Digital: Don't you think that anyone getting ready to partake in anything with which they are not familiar {I mean, who has drank that much water before without peeing?}, they should research any possible effects rather than ASSUMING something they have never done before is perfectly safe? For example, Amy is not familiar with the consequences of too much caffeine; she drinks mountain dew every day and nothing bad has become of her. Friends Jack and Randy dare her to take a whole box of vivarin caffeine pills... she has a heart attack. Is it Jack and Randy's faults? Or dumbass Amy who took all the pills? ;)
sarcastabtch sarcastabtch 8 years
Digital:Don't you think that anyone getting ready to partake in anything with which they are not familiar {I mean, who has drank that much water before without peeing?}, they should research any possible effects rather than ASSUMING something they have never done before is perfectly safe?For example, Amy is not familiar with the consequences of too much caffeine; she drinks mountain dew every day and nothing bad has become of her. Friends Jack and Randy dare her to take a whole box of vivarin caffeine pills... she has a heart attack.Is it Jack and Randy's faults? Or dumbass Amy who took all the pills? ;)
DigitalAngel DigitalAngel 8 years
While I can see why several of you would say that it was not the stations fault, there is one fact missing that I believe makes it the stations fault. That fact is that several nurses called the station before/during the contest to say that it could be deadly. The DJs pretty much called the nurses liars and ignored their pleas. As for sarcastabtch and SkinnyMarie saying that the contestants should have looked up the effects themselves, to be honest with you, I wouldn't have. I had never even heard of water poisoning before this. I guess that makes me stupid. I would have looked up the effects of holding my pee to see if I could suffer kidney damage or something similar. I would have never thought I could drink too much water.
DigitalAngel DigitalAngel 8 years
While I can see why several of you would say that it was not the stations fault, there is one fact missing that I believe makes it the stations fault. That fact is that several nurses called the station before/during the contest to say that it could be deadly. The DJs pretty much called the nurses liars and ignored their pleas. As for sarcastabtch and SkinnyMarie saying that the contestants should have looked up the effects themselves, to be honest with you, I wouldn't have. I had never even heard of water poisoning before this. I guess that makes me stupid. I would have looked up the effects of holding my pee to see if I could suffer kidney damage or something similar. I would have never thought I could drink too much water.
SkinnyMarie SkinnyMarie 8 years
Not the stations fault. The contestants should have read up on the affects of water poisoning themselves. It seemed harmless and was never intended to kill anyone.
geohiker geohiker 8 years
sad story
geohiker geohiker 8 years
sad story
beingtazim beingtazim 8 years
what? how is it not the station's fault?
bingkaycoy bingkaycoy 8 years
The contest was outright ridiculous and the woman is so stupid too
potc-crazyy potc-crazyy 8 years
I don't blame the radio station entirely, and I do agree with sarcastabtch, somewhat. But it really is a stupid contest... 0_o
sarcastabtch sarcastabtch 8 years
I don't think the radio station should be blamed for a woman's stupidity. They didn't *make* her do it. Free will.
x_juicyfruit x_juicyfruit 8 years
I couldn't believe it when I heard that. So strange. Didn't they KNOW that water could kill a person if consumed in excess? I thought I heard that they knew somehow. Either way, it was a stupid contest.
kitkatherine kitkatherine 8 years
it drives me crazy that the station held a contest like this.
Latest Technology & Gadgets
X