Happy gaming season! Sony's new platform launched at midnight on Nov. 15 and very, very quickly sold out in retail stores across the US and Canada.
You probably weren't as lucky as Joey, who was the first person to get his hands on Sony's new console in New York. But that's OK, because this handy field guide will show you where to buy the PS4 and what games our editors think PS4 gamers need to get.
Where to Buy
Status: back in stock!
- Launch Edition ($400)
- Knack Launch Bundle ($460)
- Killzone and PS Plus Launch Bundle ($510)
- DS4 Launch Bundle (with two controllers) ($460)
- Battlefield 4 and PS Plus Launch Bundle ($510)
Status: sold out online, but refurbished is available.
The console-only package ($400) is sold out online, but GameStop says you will most likely find luck in stores. Enter your zip code in the store locator, and the phone numbers/addresses of retail locations in your area will appear. You'll also find refurbished consoles ($610) available for sale.
Check Best Buy, Walmart, Toys "R" US, and more retailers, plus discover the PS4 games to get now after the break.
Status: sold out online; available in select stores.
Use Best Buy's product availability search page to see if the console is in stock at your local retail store.
All three offerings are sold out online:
- PlayStation 4 with Dualshock Controller Standalone ($400)
- PS4 500GB Console, Controller, Charging Station, and PS Plus for three months ($503)
- 500GB Console, Controller, Call of Duty: Ghosts, and PS Plus for 12 months ($570)
Status: sold out online.
The console-only package ($400) and the bundle with accessory and game ($517) are not available online. Most locations will not have the console available in store, because the stock is being held for preorders, but it wouldn't hurt to look at the store finder and call the Walmart in your area.
Status: not available online; sold out in most stores.
Toys"R"Us is sold out online and in all the superstores we checked in the San Francisco area. Check back online frequently, as it may refresh its stock within a week or so.
These are the bundles currently sold by Toys"R"Us:
- PlayStation 4 Console Only ($400)
- PlayStation 4 Madden NFL 25 Bundle ($520)
- PlayStation 4 Killzone: Shadow Fall and Knack Bundle
- PlayStation 4 Call of Duty: Ghosts Bundle ($520)
- PlayStation 4 Battlefield 4 Bundle ($520)
What Games to Get Now
- Killzone: Shadow Fall ($60) — This game is set in a futuristic urban world where the gamer is at the center of a duel between two factions, the Helghast and the Vektans.
- Lego Marvel Super Heroes ($60) — In this adorable Lego game, play as one of your favorite characters from the Marvel Universe, including Iron Man, Wolverine, Hulk, and more. Play with others, or toggle among characters in single-player mode.
- Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag ($60) — Live life as a pirate in waters from Kingston to Nassau. Take over the Caribbean with your ship, the Jackdaw, and the ammunition and equipment you acquire (or steal) while pillaging and plundering.
- Just Dance 2014 ($50) — Get moving with the Just Dance franchise's first online multiplayer mode. There are new "Just Sweat" workouts that will track calories as you groove to custom playlists. PS4 Camera or move controllers required.
- Knack ($60) — This PlayStation exclusive features an unlikely hero named Knack, a three-foot-tall creature that has the ability to transform into a giant machine by way of mysterious relics. Stunning graphics, Knack Mobile app ability, and fun game-play make this game enjoyable for all ages.
Check out the complete list of games, including Angry Birds: Star Wars, FIFA 14, and more, on the PlayStation blog.