A day we thought would never come has finally arrived to shine rays of hope on the wireless contract-shackled public: Cricket will offer the first pre-paid iPhone iPhone 4 and 4S plans in the US. Available June 22 the $55 per month plan includes unlimited voice, text, and data — though there is fine print that the data has a conditional fair usage policy of 2.3 GB per month.
How is Cricket able to offer the contract-less iPhone plan that other carriers balked at in the past? The subsidies that make an iPhone an affordable option for most users are not present in this plan, meaning the 16GB iPhone 4S will cost $500 for the 16GB model and the 8GB iPhone 4 will cost $400. It's a considerable difference in initial costs, but it may be the best option for customers used to $100 and higher monthly wireless bills. The pre-paid option might be the best game plan for those who have always wanted the iPhone 4S minus the drag on their bank account.
Why exactly is the 4S worth the hype? Follow the jump for a breakdown on what makes the phone a leader in smartphones.
- Camera, camera, camera — The 8MP camera with simple editing features (crop, rotate, enhance, and red-eye reduction), a backside illumination sensor, and larger aperture (for better low-light and white balance correction) make the iPhone 4S's camera one that competes with regular point-and-shoots. It comes with face detection and image stabilization and the ability to capture HD 1080p video.
- Faster processor — The custom A5 chip makes the iPhone 4S faster in processing speeds, games, and downloads.
- Siri integration — It's not perfect by any means, but the voice recognizing personal assistant is one handy feature.
- Wireless syncing — Raise the roof for wireless sync! This iOS 5 feature is compatible for the iPad and iPod Touch as well, to set up your devices and get updates without connecting your iDevice to a Mac or PC.
- Airplay — If you've got an Apple TV, the iPhone 4S will allow you to stream what's playing on your device to your HDTV with Airplay, which is built right into the new iPhone.
- Fingerprint resistant — The iPhone 4S has an oleophobic coating on its glass exterior, making it resistant to fingerprints by repelling oils in your fingers.
Will you trade in your contracted iPhone for the monthly pre-paid option?