This year marks the 45th anniversary of Star Trek, and the Las Vegas Star Trek Convention is bringing the big names from the entire series to one fan-filled location. The convention schedule can be a bit tricky to navigate, so we narrowed down the five events no Trekkie can miss once in Vegas.
- Leonard Nimoy photography seminar, Friday, August 12 at 7 p.m. — The original Spock will lecture on conceptual photography, a subject he knows much about with his recent photography exhibit Secret Selves, portraits of people dressed as their fantasy personalities.
- The Captains on Stage, Sunday, August 14 at 1:20 p.m. — In the main theater, former Star Trek captains Sir Patrick Stewart, William Shatner, and Kate Mulgrew will take to the main stage in front of thousands of awestruck fans.
- World record of most Star Trek costumes in one place — Need to beat the current world record set by the European convention FEDCON this May of 691 costumed attendees. Saturday, August 13, at 4:15 p.m., the Star Trek Las Vegas Convention will attempt to beat the record.
Two more events for convention goers after the break.
- Costume Contest, Saturday, August 13 at 8:45 p.m. — Cosplay enthusiasts are encouraged to enter the contest for the chance to win $1,000, which would recoup the convention costs and buy memorabilia without breaking the bank.
- Celebrity autograph and photo opportunities — The chance to get your Star Trek action figures signed will cost somewhere between $20 and $90, but for devoted fans, this is the best present to themselves.
Have you ever taken part in Star Trek fan events?