This week, iconic geeks were awarded and new gadgets launched. George Lucas received the National Medal of Arts for his work on a little franchise called Star Wars, scenes from the upcoming Grand Theft Auto V were revealed, and T-Mobile announced an unprecedented program where customers can upgrade their phones twice(!) a year.
If you were hiding in a bunker from sharknadoes this week, then catch up on all the news you need to know from the world of geeks and gadgetry below.
- 2013: The Year the White House Geeked Out — In the latest on the president's love affair with Star Wars, George Lucas was awarded the National Medal of Arts from the commander in chief himself. But this wasn't the president's first public display of affection for the space.
- Grand Theft Auto 5 Trailer Released — The high-action, heist-executing franchise released an official game-play trailer for GTA 5, which is set in a modern Southern California complete with strip malls, urban decay, and scenic beaches.
- T-Mobile JUMP! Program — Instead of upgrading every two years, T-Mobile customers can trade in their smartphones twice every year without a contract through JUMP!, which also provides complete insurance and costs $10/month.
- Embed Instagram Photo and Video — Embed codes are now available for Insta-images and video but only for users whose privacy settings are set to public.
- Nokia Lumia 1020: The 41-Megapixel Windows Phone — Nokia launched its latest flagship, a Windows Phone with a high-performance camera (maybe the highest ever).