Rumors flew this week that Apple's iPad event will take place Oct. 22, and while this hasn't been confirmed yet, the last five days saw exciting product developments to tide gadget fiends over until the iNews comes to fruition. Catch up on the tech news you may have missed here.
- Samsung rounds out the Galaxy phone — Gadget screens that move and flex seem like a sci-fi dream, and Samsung's new Galaxy phone has us a step closer to that future. Available this month, discover why it might not yet be time to take on the Galaxy Round.
- A smoke detector for the digital set — From the company that made the household thermostat cool is 21st-century take on the modest smoke detector. The Nest Protect has six types of sensors to protect you from what may arise in your home.
- Sony personalizes 3D entertainment — 3D movies can be fun, but they're limited to certain spaces. Sony's latest toy brings the movie theater experience to anywhere a viewer goes.
- Handwritten text messages — Texting is the communication method of choice for the modern smartphone user, but one graphic designer wanted to get back to her handwritten roots. For one week, every text message she sent was written by hand, photographed, and uploaded in response to an SMS.
- Jony Ive redesigns a camera . . . not in pastels — Apple's new operating system is one thing, but what happens when the company's design guru gets his hands on the look of the iconic Leica camera? You get a pretty sleek look at a sky-high price.