Last week my mom called at 10 p.m. and in a triumphant Milhouse-inspired voice exclaimed: "I did it, I did it! I cracked the code!" The code being the Blackberry Pearl shortcut to lock your keypad, which is to just hold down the star (*) key. As anticlimactic as her discovery was for me, I realized I hadn't memorized many short cuts. So, in case you don't want to spend any time "cracking the code..."
- Hold the ALT key while you roll the trackwheel to scroll horizontally in any field where you can enter or view text.
- Hold the ALT key while you roll the trackwheel to scroll through a field to view options.
- Hold the SHIFT key while you roll the trackwheel to select multiple items in a list.
- Type the first letter of an item in an options list or menu to jump directly to that item.
- Type the first letters of a name or the initials separated by a space to find a contact in the Address Book screen.
- To cut and paste text, hold the ALT key and click the trackwheel, then roll the trackwheel to highlight text. Click and scroll to Cut Selection or Copy Selection. To paste the selected text, place the cursor in an editable field and click. Scroll to Paste Selection and click.
- Press and hold a letter to capitalize it (with Key Rate enabled).
- Press the SPACE key twice to insert a period and capitalize the next letter.
- Press the SPACE key to insert the "@" and "." characters in an Email field.
- Press and hold a letter key and roll the trackwheel to scroll through international characters, equation symbols and other marks.
For more tips, just