Holiday time is here, and whether you're celebrating with family or friends, memories will be made. If you're branching out from photo to video this year, there are a few things you need to remember in order to make your holiday clips the best they can be. Here, a few beginner tips brought to you by the video masters at Vimeo. Check our their fun video explaining the basics, or read through the tip roundup if you're short on time.
- Keep your shots short and sweet — Don't spend the entire night walking around with a camera in your face. Mingle, get a few interviews, a few moments, then put the camera down and enjoy yourself too.
- Plan your important shots ahead of time — Whether it's the cooking, the opening of presents, the after-dinner games, whatever, make sure you have your camera close at hand to capture those moments.
- Play with close-ups and angles — Don't be afraid to get some closeup shots of family and friends chatting, over the shoulder, or shots from above. Play around — you never know what you might end up with.
- Shoot your surroundings — Don't forget to take some video of the decorations, the food, the atmosphere, the presents (before and after they've been opened) to cut into your video.
- But don't film people eating — Film the food, not the people eating it. It's kinda rude, don't you think?