To start off, it's really fun to say "you beta buy your friend a drink!" and even more fun to go online and actually buy your friend a drink.
Started in 2005, when its creator graduated from business school and realized his friends were scattered across the county and he could no longer toast to all those special moments with them, buy your friend a drink allows you to create a profile and buy a cold one for your friend in a bar across the country.
Because it's in beta right now, the bar choices are rather limited, but all you have to do is fill in your a profile and select "buy your friend a drink." Your friend will then be sent an email (and a text message at your option) from you with your personal message and the gift code. To redeem the drink all you have to do is go to any bar in the network and give the bartender the gift code.
I'm at the disadvantage of being in San Francisco, where the bar network for this site hasn't been developed, but the boys at Crave were able to test it out and after a bit of confusion at the bar, gave it a nod of approval.
"I give BuyYourFriendADrink a thumbs-up," says the tester. "Sure, it's gimmicky, and it's still very limited. But now when I win bets with my West Coast-based colleagues, I don't have to wait until I'm traveling out there for my "you owe me a beer" agreements to be fulfilled."
To learn how to post your favorite sites to the Website of the Day group,
I know that this long list looks scary, but trust me, once you get the hang of it, it'll be a snap the second time around.
- First of all, join the Website of the Day group
- Click "Create and Share!" on the left hand side
- Choose "Blog"
- Give your photo a Title
- Leave the category as "general"
- Change the channel to "technology and gadgets"
- Add keyword(s) (for example mine for this photo was "Website of the Day")
- Click on the "Add Image" link below the "body" box
- A popup window will happen - click on "Browse" to find your image on your computer
- Once you have the image chosen, click "Submit"
- The popup will show you your image, choose size: "normal" - if you want, you can give it a title (which will show up as a caption)
- Click "Insert" and the popup will go away
- Your "body" box will now have some text in it. Leave it as is. If you want to add some text before the picture telling me why you love the website, do it before the code that has appeared.
- Click Submit
So join the Website of the Day group and share information about all your favorite sites! Yours just might end up on the geeksugar homepage!