First off, My Death Space's name makes it sound a lot more twisted and goth than it really is. It's actually an archival site, containing news articles, online obituaries, and other publicly available information about Myspace members that have died. The creator's of the site claim it gives users the opportunity to pay their respects and tributes to the recently deceased MySpace.com members via their comment system.
That being said, it's not a site I plan on using any time in the near future, but I do think it's worth checking out so you don't feel left out on this week's digital buzz. I think one can make a pretty strong argument about exploiting and over exposing the dead, and as Salon.com aptly notes, it's easy to feel "morbid curiosity and ridicule have replaced respect for the deceased at MyDeathSpace, where your life is an open book -- even when you're 6 feet under." See for yourself.
To learn how to post your favorite sites to the Website of the Day group, read more
I know that this long list looks scary, but trust me, once you get the hang of it, it'll be a snap the second time around.
- First of all, join the Website of the Day group
- Click "Create and Share!" on the left hand side
- Choose "Blog"
- Give your photo a Title
- Leave the category as "general"
- Change the channel to "technology and gadgets"
- Add keyword(s) (for example mine for this photo was "Website of the Day")
- Click on the "Add Image" link below the "body" box
- A popup window will happen - click on "Browse" to find your image on your computer
- Once you have the image chosen, click "Submit"
- The popup will show you your image, choose size: "normal" - if you want, you can give it a title (which will show up as a caption)
- Click "Insert" and the popup will go away
- Your "body" box will now have some text in it. Leave it as is. If you want to add some text before the picture telling me why you love the website, do it before the code that has appeared.
- Click Submit
So join the Website of the Day group and share information about all your favorite sites! Yours just might end up on the geeksugar homepage!