I subscribe to the school of "there's no such thing as useless information," so my affection for the website Unnecessary Knowledge was instant. Did you know the “save” icon in Microsoft Office programs shows a floppy disk with the shutter on backwards? I didn't until I was sucked into the vortex of the site's top list.
Unnecessary Knowledge displays trivia and facts from random sources, which combine to make it a really fun timewaster website. Every time you visit (or refresh your browser), you are treated to a more random fact. You can upload your own knowledge (hence the random sources and varied topics) or just refresh the page to consume someone else's item. Most of the data falls in line with random facts and board-game must-knows.
Do you have a favorite website you want to share with us? Submit your faves to our Website of the Day group! To learn how, just read more.
I know that this long list looks scary, but trust me, once you get the hang of it, it'll be a snap the second time around.
- First of all, join the Website of the Day group.
- Click the pink "Share" menu on the top left side of the page.
- Choose "Blog" and “Regular Post.”
- Give your story a “Title.”
- Fill in the “Body” with a link to your favorite website and the reasons why you love it.
- Click “Next."
- Choose the audience for your story to “Website of the Day” in the drop-down menu
- Add keyword(s) (for example mine for this photo was "Website of the Day").
- Change channel to “Technology and Gadgets.”
- Fill in tag field with relevant tags.
- Click “I’m done” to submit content.