Skip Nav
Tech News
The New iPhone's Camera Does Something Really F*cking Cool
Facebook
How a Mom's Facebook Post Ruined a Man's Reputation For Life
Viral Videos
Here's What Happens When You Attach a GoPro to Your Dog and Leave the House

What's the Most Serious Gadget Incident You've Ever Had?

What's the Most Serious Gadget Incident You've Ever Had?

On Tuesday, a fire broke out in actor Nick Nolte's Malibu home, forcing him to make a quick exit and escape through a window. The fire was said to have been caused by an electrical malfunction, which Nolte believes originated from his faulty printer. The damage was estimated at three million dollars.

We've heard about fires from bad batteries in cell phones, and laptops over-heating, but I'm wondering if any of you have actually had any "real life" serious experiences with gadgets malfunctioning and causing damage to your home? Let me know in the comments below!

Source


Around The Web
How Technology Influenced Generation X
How to Switch Between Accounts on Instagram
The Most Satisfying Video
"Virtual Life" Lion King Spoof

POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.

Join The Conversation
twellve twellve 7 years
i had a small fan that i left on for too many hours (days?) during a heatwave and started to melt around the motor.also had a humidifier that i'd had on for days (hmm... theme here?) when i had the flu. stopped working, so i took it apart (as geeks do) and discovered the wires connecting to the electronics were burnt through. again, luckily there was no real damage, but both were rather innocuous household electronics.guess it doesn't take much.
twellve twellve 7 years
i had a small fan that i left on for too many hours (days?) during a heatwave and started to melt around the motor. also had a humidifier that i'd had on for days (hmm... theme here?) when i had the flu. stopped working, so i took it apart (as geeks do) and discovered the wires connecting to the electronics were burnt through. again, luckily there was no real damage, but both were rather innocuous household electronics. guess it doesn't take much.
quietriott quietriott 7 years
not exactly a "gadget" but i have been electrocuted by a vending machine (and not just a little jolt, i am talking like have to go to the ER entry/exit point burns type of electrocution)
macgirl macgirl 7 years
I have a feeling you're not going to get many people replying and saying they have had a major disaster. These things are very rare but with the internet and the way "news" is reported these days everything gets blown out of proportion. I was startled to see the above post on the macbook battery so I googled and found tons and tons of links- they all talked about the same incident though. Personally I have seen two machines that had smoke coming out of them. Both of them had a tiny puff of smoke and then shut off. No fire.
macgirl macgirl 7 years
I have a feeling you're not going to get many people replying and saying they have had a major disaster. These things are very rare but with the internet and the way "news" is reported these days everything gets blown out of proportion. I was startled to see the above post on the macbook battery so I googled and found tons and tons of links- they all talked about the same incident though. Personally I have seen two machines that had smoke coming out of them. Both of them had a tiny puff of smoke and then shut off. No fire.
devils devils 7 years
No I never had issues with anything. The closest was when those batteries for the macbook got recalled, but i just went to apple and sent away for a new one, and got it the next day =]
weffie weffie 7 years
it hasn't happened to me (yet, lol) but when i was looking up the serial numbers for the recall on macbook batteries, i found a whole slew of photos different people had posted of the fires caused by their computers... it was scary stuff, some were just lucky they were home when it happened so their houses weren't completely destroyed.
Jinx Jinx 7 years
Oh, not any tech gadgets, but my son sliced the end of his finger off with a mandolin. (spelling?)
Latest Technology & Gadgets
X