The iPhone will be released in the US this upcoming Friday at 6 pm local time and if you don't already have your location mapped, snacks packed and water bottles in the freezer, you should probably consider making a game plan. (Of course if you're not buying one, this story is not for you.) Here are some tips to help you organize your iPhone day:
- Urban travel site Gridskipper has created a series of "Ultimate Campout Guides" for Old Town Pasadena, SF Stonestown, NYC Fifth Avenue, LA Century City, SF Downtown and NYC Soho. The guides features tips about the Apple stores, where you can get free WiFi, where to stay (you'll be booking a five-star hotel too, right?), free bathrooms, close snack shacks and of course iPhone-worthy restaurants.
- If you plan on getting your iPhone from a Cingular (now AT&T) store, be sure to find the closest location with the AT&T store finder. AT&T has hired 2,000 temporary workers to handle the expected crowds and will close down locally at 4.30 p.m. on Friday to prepare for the launch, then reopen at 6 p.m. until 10 p.m. Hopefully, the extra hands will keep the line moving. Of course, you should also map out the closest restroom and dining amenities to your store.
- If you plan on buying the phone online from AT&T think again. According to Reuters, Apple will start selling the iPhone online on the 29th, but AT&T will first launch only in its stores.
Last but not least, on the day of the release be sure to take lots of photos from the line and with your new phone and share them with us! To learn how to post your photos in the Geeky Things I Love group, read more
I know that this long list looks scary, but trust me, once you get the hang of it, it'll be a snap the second time around.
- First of all, join the Geeky Things I Love
- Click "Create and Share!" on the left hand side
- Choose "Blog"
- Give your photo a Title
- Leave the category as "general"
- Change the channel to "technology and gadgets"
- Add keyword(s) (for example mine for this post was "museum, Lego")
- Click on the "Add Image" link below the "body" box
- A popup window will happen - click on "Browse" to find your image on your computer
- Once you have the image chosen, click "Submit"
- The popup will show you your image, choose size: "normal" - if you want, you can give it a title (which will show up as a caption)
- Click "Insert" and the popup will go away
- Your "body" box will now have some text in it. Leave it as is. If you want to add some text before the picture telling me why you love the download, do it before the code that has appeared.
- Click Submit
So join the Geeky Things I Love and start sharing your photos. They might end up on the geeksugar homepage!