- 8 slices bacon (8 ounces total)
- 1/2 baguette (8 ounces), sliced into 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound romaine-lettuce hearts, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Arrange bacon in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper. Bake until browned and crisp, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain.Cool, then crumble into large pieces.
- Make croutons: Toss bread with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread evenly on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, tossing halfway through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, and scallion; season with salt and pepper.
- Add lettuce, tomatoes, and croutons; toss to coat with dressing. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Side Dishes, Salads
- North American