- 3/4 oz dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed well
- 1 boneless beef chuck-eye roast (about 3 1/2 lbs after trimming so buy at least 4 lbs), trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 5 oz salt pork, rind removed
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch thick rounds (aprox 2 cups)
- 2 med. onions, halved and cut into slices (about 4 cups)
- 4 med. garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 bottle bold red wine (Cab Sauv or Zin)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 strips zest from 1 orange, removed with veg. peeler, 3 inches long, cleaned of white pith, then cut into thin strips
- 1 cup pitted nicoise olives, drained well (Kalamata olives can be substituted)
- 3 anchovy fillets, minced (about 1 tsp)
- 5 sprigs of thyme leaves, tied together with kitchen twine
- 2 bay leaves 1 (14.5 oz) can of whole tomatoes, drained and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
1. Cover mushrooms with 1 cup hot tap water in small microwaves safe bowl; cover with plastic wrap, cut several steam vents in plastic wrap, and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Let stand until mushrooms soften, about 5 min. Lift mushrooms from liquid with a fork and chop into 1/2 inch pieces (aprox 1/4 cup) set aside. Strain liquid through fine mesh strainer lined with 1 paper towel into med. bowl, set aside.
2. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position; heat oven to 325 degrees. Dry beef thoroughly with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over med-high heat until simmering but not smoking; add half of beef (or less). Cook without moving pieces until well browned, about 2 min. each side, for total of 8-10 min. Repeat until all the beef is browned (adding oil as needed), removing each batch to a bowl in between batches.
3. Reduce heat to medium and add salt port, carrots, onions, garlic and tomato paste to now empty pot; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are brown, about 2 min. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 min. Slowly add wine, gently scraping bottom of pan to loosen brown bits. Add broth, water, beef and any juices in the bowl. Increase heat to med-high and bring to full simmer. Add mushrooms and their liquid, orange zest, 1/2 cup olives, anchovies, thyme, and bay leaves. Stir and make sure beef is completely covered by liquid. Cover partially (I used foil) and place in the oven. Cook until fork inserted in beef meets little resistance (meat should not be falling apart), 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
4. Discard salt port, thyme, and bay leaves. Add tomatoes and remaining 1/2 cup of olives. Warm over med-high heat until heated through, about 1 min. Cover pot and allow stew to settle about 5 min. Using spoon, skim excess fat from the surface of stew. Stir in parsley and serve with noodles or potatoes.
- Main Dishes, Beef