- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 cups low-fat (1%) milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Whisk flour in heavy medium saucepan to remove any lumps.
- Gradually add 1 cup milk, whisking until smooth. Add remaining 2 cups milk and nutmeg; whisk over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in Parmesan, egg and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over low heat until heated through before using; do not boil.
Makes 3 cups.
- Other, Condiments/Sauces