From Bobby Flay
1 large onion, chopped
1 lemon, quartered
1 cup dry white wine
3 large baking potatoes, like russets, thinly sliced on a mandoline
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Place the artichokes, onion, lemon, wine and water to cover in a medium saucepan, cover with a clean dish cloth and simmer over medium-high heat until the artichokes are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Drain the artichokes and when cool enough to handle, cut off the top half, trim leaves, remove choke, and remove heart. Slice heart into thin slices.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a 8 x 8-inch baking dish and place a layer of potatoes on the bottom, place 1/4 of the artichoke hearts over the potatoes, season with salt and pepper, drizzle with 1/4 cup of the cream and some of the thyme.
- Repeat to make 5 layers ending with a layer of potatoes.
- Combine the cheese and bread crumbs and sprinkle over the top.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through and the top is golden brown and bubbly.
- Let rest 10 minutes before cutting.