1 cup whole unblanched almonds
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more as needed
1/8 teaspoon Spanish pimenton de La Vera (smoked paprika), plus more as needed
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the almonds, return to a boil and boil for 30 seconds.
- Drain and immediately transfer the nuts to a clean kitchen towel. Enclose the almonds in the towel and rub them briskly against the towel to loosen the skins.
- Open the towel and, working quickly, slip the almonds out of their skins. The nuts become more difficult to peel as they cool.
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF.
- Transfer the almonds to a heavy baking sheet. Drizzle them with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt, then toss with your hands to coat evenly.
- Bake until golden brown and fragrant, about 30 minutes, stirring them well halfway through so they brown evenly.
- Transfer the nuts to a bowl and toss with enough pimenton to dust all the nuts. Add more salt if necessary. (A lot of salt remains on the baking sheet.) Put the nuts on a paper towel in a single layer and cool completely before serving.
PER 1/4 CUP: 225 calories, 8 g protein, 7 g carbohydrate, 19 g fat (0 saturated), 0 cholesterol, 288 mg sodium, 5 g fiber.