- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1/4 cup dried currants, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes and drained
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachio nuts, toasted lightly
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh Italian parsley, or fresh mint
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- a pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a saucepan with a lid bring broth to a boil and stir in the couscous. Remove the pan from the heat, let the mixture stand, covered, for 5 minutes
- While couscous steams mince shallot.
- When couscous is done, break up any lumps with a fork and stir in shallots, and let sit for about a minute.
Add currants, the pistachios, the parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Add lemon juice, the cinnamon, and the oil. Toss until couscous mixture is coated with the dressing.
Pack the mixture into two 3/4-cup timbales, or small bowls, and unmold the timbales onto 2 plates.
- Side Dishes, Grains
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern