Last week, I had a real treat: I was able to interview the incomparable Dita Von Teese before her burlesque performance at Macy's Passport in San Francisco. Passport is a fundraiser for HIV/AIDS research, so it made perfect sense to have Dita appear. She's the face of MAC's Viva Glam campaign, which has raised—get this—nearly $100 million to fight the disease.
Dita was gracious as she talked about her forthcoming second book, the difference between beauty and glamour, and what high school was like. Take a look:
For more tidbits from my talk with Dita,
- Dita wore a feathered Marchesa dress and MAC Mattene lipstick in You Say Tomato. (It should be in stores within the next week.)
- The smoothness and creaminess of her skin is unreal. Even though she was wearing makeup, I could tell that she takes very good care of it. She told me that she wears MAC Prep + Prime, which has SPF 50.
- Those rumors about her swimming only at night and closing curtains at hotels to stay out of the sun? Rumors! Dita admitted that she often closes curtains at hotels, but only for privacy while she's changing. "I'm not an exhibitionist," she said with a laugh.
- I asked if she had any beauty secrets. Aside from the SPF, she credits drinking a lot of water and getting enough sleep each night.
- I had a dork-out moment because we both grew up in small towns in Michigan. I was too dorky, however, to tell her that she'd inspired me to take burlesque lessons. There are some things just too nerdy to admit!