"What are your go-to makeup items?" It's my favorite question to ask makeup artists, from those who work behind the scenes on TV shows to the people behind the counters of department stores. "Nars Orgasm ($26) is pretty much up there," revealed Brett Freedman, who has beautified the faces of stars like Vanessa Hudgens and Scarlett Johansson. But he also had plenty of other top picks to reveal, like:
- Lorac Breakthrough Performance Foundation ($36): "I love the colors. I love the consistency. I love that they have a foundation that's oil-free with sunscreen. I love that matte finish," says Brett. That's why he has one in every shade.
- Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage ($28): You can customize your color by mixing the light shade with the deeper one, and that means they're perfect for all-year round. "You can [even] cover zits with it. That is a really nice thing because one concealer sometimes doesn't cut it," he adds.
- "Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler ($19), of course," he says.
- L'Oréal Voluminous Mascara in Carbon Black ($7): "Love the brush, love how black it is, and I like how it stays" he explains. Brett's tip: Get waterproof; it holds the curl better.
- Rimmel 1000 Kisses lip liner ($3): "The consistency is genius," he says.