Glossy eyes are a sexy, strong, and a notice-me makeup look for evening wear, but I'll give it to you straight — creating them is definitely not for the novice. It requires maintenance throughout the night and a conscious restraint from touching your lids, because they will smudge in an instant.
Although the application isn't difficult, it takes patience. I'd even suggest that you practice once or twice before you head out in the open. Who's up for the challenge? For five step-by-step directions (c'mon, I know you can do it),
- STEP 1: Prep lids with a dab of foundation and set them with powder, or use a product such as Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Eye Shadow Base to create a smooth canvas that will also prevent the shadow from creasing.
- STEP 2: Apply loose powder under your lids to catch any shadow that will fall during the application process (trust me, it makes removal much easier). Then, add a cream or white shadow all over your lid and follow with a black or silvery powder shadow starting right above your lash line to the crease. Try something like SolutionEYES Seduce Palette for a smoldering look.
- STEP 3: Apply your eyeliner, curl your eyelashes, and add false lashes if you like. If not, just add two coats of black mascara.
- STEP 4: Next, to create a lacquered look, smear the dark area of your lid with a transparent-silver or sheer-gold lip gloss. Add some more to the inner V of your eyes and underneath your eyeliner on the bottom lashes. While it's very tempting to play with the lacquer, I urge you to resist temptation and let it be, or you'll cause smudging.
- STEP 5: Wipe away any fallen shadow with a clean fluffy brush and just keep buffing until it's all gone. Lastly, bring your gloss with you when you leave the house so that you can touch it up if things start to fade and look dull.