Recently, I read an article that featured a tip on making your own hair diffuser at home. All you need is a sock and a rubber band, and you're good to go. Upon mentioning this tidbit to my co-worker, she kindly brought me back down to earth. Fire hazard, much? Then earlier today, I came across this article which, sadly, describes the passing of a Pakistani diplomat, who was electrocuted by a damaged hair dryer after bathing.

This brings me to my point: Seriously, if your blow-dryer has a frayed cord, is puffing out abnormal emissions, and/or makes any kind of rattling noise, don't be cheap. Replace it or live with air-dried hair. It might be common sense, but why put yourself at risk in the name of beauty?